Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Let's Hear It For Modern Medicine!!!

A comment on the blessings of modern medicine.  Hmm, or rather I believe I'd like to say the up and coming modern medicine.  I had a stay in the ER yesterday in the Utah Valley Regional Medical Center.  I was traveling in to Provo to meet with a very lovely woman when to my surprise while I was driving down the road, Redwood Road, to be exact, my heart began to POUND in my chest, my vision went wierd, and my throat felt like it was tightening up -- ah yes, some dadgum anxiety attack.  Well, what in the world?  I wasn't taking off in a shuttle, I could not figure out where this darned thing came from.  There was very little traffic, the sun was shining, the car was running well enough, (*%^%*^$(*&^.  I could not shake that thing, well, it would ebb and flow all the way to Provo. Very unnerving if you ask me.  Not to mention scary, embarrassing and I hope never to do that again~

I finally reached my destination and I still couldn't shake it.  About a half hour later, that "lovely" woman suggested a trip to the ER and I took her up on it.  They did a barrage of testing, blood work, ekg, and so on.  GGGGGGeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzz, very frustrating!  I didn't stop tremoring until 1:00 p.m.  They finally let me go home at around 2:00, telling me I look pretty darn good on paper, so go see your regular doctor.

So today, I did!  I've been seeing a "nurse practitioner" for about two years now.  I LOVE her!  She's gotten my out of more hot water than I care to think about.  She deals mostly with women's health and this woman is grateful!  My husband and I went in together, we explained what had happened yesterday.  She asked me a few questions, looked at my chart, turned and looked at me and said, "This is not your fault AND you are not going crazy!"  She explained that hormonal imbalances can cause the seritonin to go haywire and cause these anxiety episodes!  Wahoo, I can not tell you what a relief this was to me, I thought I'd never drive again, I'd pictured myself as some recluse in my own home. 

Well, it won't be adjusted overnight, but at the very least, I feel that there is light at the end of the tunnel.  She also said I'll probably sleep better, my memory will improve, my thought process will improve, I won't feel so many aches and pains geez, the relief goes on and on just from one inadequate hormone, who knew. 

Don't ask me for the detailed medical explanations, I'll leave that to the professionals.  I found this practitioner from the local compound pharmacy.  As for the "up and coming modern medicine", it has been my experience that not all physicians will or can do the indepth testing that these newer practitioners will do, they will run generic/general tests, but not the indepth ones that can give us better answers for better solutions.  Growing older as they say "ain't for sissys" but we can arm ourselves to grow feeling better and healther.

So, my gratitude to the up and coming with the new fangled whatevers!

She even gives me hugs!

See ya soon!

B

No comments:

Post a Comment